Northern Illinois University Transfer Acceptance Rate
Northern Illinois University was established in 1895 as a public university. It boasts a total undergraduate enrollment of 12,277 students (fall 2020), a suburban environment, and an 800-acre campus. The academic calendar is semester-based. Northern Illinois University is ranked #299-#391 in National Universities in the Best Colleges 2022 edition. In-state students’ tuition and fees are $12,478; tuition and fees for out-of-state students are $12,478.
Northern Illinois University is located in DeKalb, Illinois, about 65 miles west of Chicago. About 80 master’s degrees are available to graduate students, including those provided by the colleges of business and law and the highly ranked Division of Public Administration.
Undergraduates can pick from more than 60 academic majors and take part in the Research Rookies program, which allows first- and second-year students to undertake research in their fields of study under the supervision of instructors. Many Northern Illinois University students opt to study abroad, and the school provides academic credit programs in roughly 75 countries.
Northern Illinois students can join over 200 clubs on campus, including roughly 40 Greek-letter groups. Several varsity sporting teams compete in the university’s NCAA Division I Mid-American Conference. The Huskies are the name to NIU’s athletic teams, but this hasn’t always been the case. In the school’s early days as a teaching college, they were known as the Teachers and the Professors, and they’ve also been dubbed the Cardinals and the Northerners. Dan Castellaneta, who portrays Homer Simpson and several other characters on the animated television show “The Simpsons,” is a notable NIU alumnus.
Northern Illinois University 2022 Rankings
- #299-#391 in National Universities
- #132 in Top Performers on Social Mobility (tie)
- #156-#209 in Top Public Schools
Northern Illinois University Acceptance Rate
Northern Illinois University has a 59% acceptance rate. The SAT score ranges from 900 to 1140 for half of the applicants admitted to Northern Illinois University. However, one-fourth of approved applicants received scores higher than these ranges, while the other quarter received lower scores. Northern Illinois University’s application date is August 1st, and the application price is $40.
Northern Illinois University Transfer Acceptance Rate
In previous years, Northern Illinois University received 3632 transfer applications. The school accepted 2764 students. Therefore, the transfer acceptance rate for Northern Illinois University is 76.1%. This shows how relatively competitive it is to transfer into Northern Illinois University.
Northern Illinois University Tuition & Financial Aid
Northern Illinois University charges in-state students $12,478 and out-of-state students $12,478. Northern Illinois University is more expensive than the national average in-state tuition, which is $11,331. The education is less costly for out-of-state students than the national average of $27,028 for out-of-state tuition.
Tuition and fees, generally known as the sticker price, are included in these statistics. Library services, student exercise facilities, student centres, technology resources, and campus health centres may all be covered by fees, which vary by university.
Consider the overall cost and the net price when comparing the costs of different institutions. The total price includes the sticker price, housing and board, books and supplies, transportation, and personal expenditures.
The total cost of attendance at Northern Illinois University is $26,922 for in-state students and $26,922 for out-of-state students. The net price is the average cost after financial assistance and scholarships are deducted from the overall cost, which is $16,837 for out-of-state students and $16,815 for in-state students receiving need-based help on average.
Northern Illinois University Transfer Application Requirements
- Minimum GPA: A 2.0 GPA is required. The prerequisites for a higher GPA differ by major.
- Official Transcripts: If you have less than 24 credits, you must submit high school transcripts. Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended are necessary.
- SAT Scores: For students who have achieved less than 24 transferable semester hours at the time of application, SAT/ACT scores are required.
- Letters of Recommendation: Not required for admissions consideration.
- Essay: Not required for admissions consideration.
- Application Fee: $40 non-refundable fee must be submitted with the application.
- Associates Degree Required: Admission is not required. Students who have completed an Illinois public community college’s A.A., A.S., or authorised A.A.T. will transfer to NIU with junior standing, and their general education requirements will be met.
- Other Requirements: Some majors have strict admittance requirements, including a higher GPA, particular course work, supplemental documentation, and sophomore or junior status. It is strongly advised that you apply as soon as possible.
Northern Illinois University Transfer Credit Policy
- Minimum Grade: A, B, C, and D grades can be transferred, but majors may require higher rates for prerequisites or significant course work.
- Credits (Min/Max): Minimum credit requirement: 24 credits. A two-year institution’s maximum credits are 66 credits plus four credits of physical education activity courses. There is no maximum number of credits from a four-year institution. However, a 30-hour residency is required.