Southwest Christian University is an educational institution that is located in the city of Oklahoma, United States. This private school was established in 1946 hence is a long-standing academic establishment.
Also, religion wise this American University is affiliated to Pentecostal Holiness Church and is operated on a 4-year system.
Moreover, Its predecessor was Southwest Bible College, an educational institution established based on Bible education. However, do note that outhwest Christian University is a university accredited by the Ministry of Education of the United States.
The school was established by the International Church of Rome, mainly to train men and women to become church leaders.
At that time, Southwest Bible College emphasized the Bible as the core and carried out other research around it. By the 1960s, the university had grown steadily and had become the largest technical school and the largest holy church in the country.
It was approved in 1979 as a four-year university that can award degrees. In the fall of 2001, the school was officially renamed Southwest Christian University.
More so, the school’s strategic plan for development is to strengthen its business curriculum. Southwest Christian University can grant associate, bachelor, and master degrees.
Some of majors offered includes business administration, church music, music performance, English, human and family services, bible missions, religion, youth and family services, and youth preaching.
Additionally, here are some the chronological history of the school:
- In 1916 (Taisho 5th year), the Private Southwest College was founded in Daimyo, Fukuoka City.
- The educational establishment was the first private high school for men in Fukuoka City, with 104 students and 9 faculty members at the time.
- In 1921 (Taisho 10th year), the school became a vocational academy, and the Southwest College of Higher Education was established.
- In 1931 Charles Lindbergh and his wife visited the school
- In 1937 Helen Keller visited also visited the institution
- In 1944 the English course was temporarily closed.
- In 1949 a new system of Southwestern Gakuin University was established with the Department of Advanced Studies of Southwestern Gakuin as its parent body, and the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was established.
- In 1951 the Faculty of Arts and Sciences was renamed the Faculty of Arts and Commerce.
- In 1954 the Faculty of Literature and Commerce was divided into the Faculty of Letters and the Faculty of Commerce.
Current Principal: Dr. Tom Murray (President)
Religious Affiliation: Pentecostal Holiness Church
School’s System: 4-year degree awarding
School website: www.swcu.edu/
Admission Office page: www.swcu.edu/admission-process
Financial aid Office page: www.swcu.edu/financial-aid1
Application page: www.swcu.edu/apply-online
Tuition and fees calculation page: www.swcu.edu/price-calculator
Disability facilities and services page: https://swcu.edu/students/student-services/disability-services
Geographical location: 7210 NW 39th Expressway, Bethany, OK (73008) United States.
Southwestern Christian University Academic Disciplines
One of the key advantage a school can have is its number of academic degree programs. Most schools in the United States are known to offer a wide range of academic disciplines that cuts across many faculties and departments.
Nonetheless, Southwestern Christian university is a private non-profit school that is located in Oklahoma – one of the vibrant academic environments in the states.
Though the school is one among the many tertiary education institutions in the city, it ranks among best private academic establishments in the region.
Moreover, this school offers many excellent undergraduate and postgraduate study degree programs. Hence it is among the religious-affiliated schools which offers high quality theological education.
Other courses are also available and they all are open for both domestic and international students. Here is the list of courses offered by Southwestern Christian university;
- Business Administration – Traditional
- Business Administration – FLEX Studies
- Business Leadership
- Business Leadership – FLEX Studies
- Business Leadership – Distant Learning
- Biblical Studies
- Christian Leadership – Traditional
- Christian Leadership – FLEX Studies
- Christian Ministry
- Intercultural Studies
- Christian Service
- Music Performance
- Music Worship Studies
- Music Technology
- Music Technology – Minor
- Early Childhood Development Education Elementary Education
- English Education
- History Education
- Physical Education, Health & Safety Associate of Arts
- Arts in English
- Arts in History
- Liberal Studies – Traditional
- Liberal Studies – FLEX Studies
- Human Services – Traditional
- Human Services – FLEX Studies
- Psychology – Traditional
- Psychology – FLEX Studies
- Master of Arts in Theological Studies
- Master of Arts in Global Leadership
- Master of Ministry in Theology of Global Transformation
Southwestern Christian University Tuition Charges
Southwestern Christian University do charge tuition which applies to both its undergraduate and postgraduate degree study programs.
The school also does not charge the same tuition for International and domestic students.
Tuition for in-state students studying undergraduates degree programs is $16,778. Also, Tuition for out-of-state scholars undergoing their undergraduates degree programs is $16,778.
Aside this, accommodation cost is estimated to be around $8,600 – however it may differ. Students staying in the school’s hostel will pay less because housing is subsidized for students.
Meanwhile, scholars living outside the university’s campus will pay more but will be more integrated with the locals – this can be a good experience especially to international students.
Moreover, living costs is determined by the choice and lifestyle of the student though the United States is a relatively expensive country to live in.
The school also has an average total number of 458 undergraduate students with graduation rate being 23.1%.
The good news is that this private university have a habit of retaining its students – with the retention rate being 54.1%.
Moreover, the Student-faculty ratio 12:1 – which is one of the lowest in Oklahoma. Hence, classes are more customised and with lots of space.
On top this, the Male to female ratio 56:44 and graduates of this private American school take home a salary that ranges from $23,649 to $47,260 when employed.
Southwestern Christian University is one of the best private educational establishments in Oklahoma City.
This school is religiously affiliated to Pentecostal Holiness Church and offer excellent undergraduate and postgraduate degree study programs.
This post deals on Southwestern Christian University Acceptance Rate, Tuition, Courses & Requirements.
What are your thoughts about the school?