Best Nursing Schools in California: What are they?
It is difficult to imagine a hospital or clinic without nurse(s). This sect of medical professionals plays an important role in the healing process of a patient.
Hence their presence ensures fast and efficient treatment of patients. By definition, Nursing is a branch of medical science that deals with the therapy of an individual or community.
Nurses play the support role to doctors as they have the power to prescribe drugs and medications to patients. However, it can be ascertained that nurses have different approaches and roles during the healing process.
Though the entire sub medical field deals with how to treat and show care for patients, Nurses tends to be the ones that have taken it to the personal level.
That’s why seeing a nurse forming a bond with patient and supplying all available support is common. This is one significant part of their duties that has stood them out.
Specialist Areas in Nursing
Just like most medical fields, nursing has many branches. Each of these areas of specialisation comes with varying job roles, functions, and duties.
Here are the different specialist’s areas in the field of Nursing;
- Cardiac Nursing
Cardiac Nursing is the specialist that deals with the cardiovascular system. Apart from treating various cardiac disorders which range from heart failure to artery disease, they also provide after-therapy medication.
This branch of nursing also performs several complex functions including stress test evaluations. Given their nature of work, it’s not quite easy to get a certification.
Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification is strictly awarded to competent practitioners that have met the demanded requirements.
Here are some of the sectors where cardiac nurses can be found:
- Cardiac wards
- Cardiac Surgery Wards
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Centre
- Cardiac Catheterisation
- Clinical Research among others
- Palliative Care
Palliative Care deals with the therapy of complex disorders. It focuses primarily on mitigating medical deficiencies and ensuring that patients are revived.
The Palliative Care Unit is composed of a combination of several medical professionals that cuts across Nurses, doctors, and psychologists to physical therapists.
They care extensively for patients with chronic diseases irrespective of the age group. More so, while initiatives like early test and diagnosis form parts of their assignments, these nurses deal majorly with the therapy of near-death illnesses.
- Obstetrical or Perinatal Nursing
Obstetrical or Perinatal nursing, generally, deals with pregnancy. This speciality of nursing care for the pregnant hopefuls, the ones carrying a child, and mothers who recently put to birth.
During the pregnancy period, complications are likely bound to occur. These difficulties are mostly due to reproductive disorders which may be hereditary.
Perinatal nurses care and support pregnant women during the period. They also provide prenatal care, support during the delivery period, and aid the new mothers to regain themselves.
While these nurses work hand-in-hand with midwives, they also alliance with obstetricians.
- Oncology Nursing
Oncology Nursing is a speciality that is related to the care of cancer patients. The field is advanced and requires a knowledge of oncology.
Oncology nurses are required to take advanced courses outside the typical traditional nursing coursework as well as obtain professional certifications to be licensed for practice.
They perform functions that range from symptom management to preventive measures and aids in the quick recovery of cancer patients.
- Perioperative Nursing
Perioperative nurses deals with surgery and its related terminologies. It is the branch of nursing that provides care for patients undergoing surgery.
As a result of this, they mostly work in conjunction with surgeons, as well as nurse anaesthetics among others. Apart from caring for the patients in the operating room, Perioperative nurses also provide support for the patient’s family.
These health professionals also assist in providing guidelines for the successful therapy of the patient. It is complicated and demands rigorous academic coursework.
- Orthopaedic or Orthopedic nursing
This branch of nursing deals with the diagnosis and care of patients with musculoskeletal disorders. Professionals on this nursing specialist undergo intensive education on the human skeletal system.
Hence, they are drilled on how to care for patients with bone-related disorders. These medical professionals can be found in hospitals, clinics, health centres among others.
- Emergency Nursing
Emergency Nurses treats patients on the radar of death. These medical practitioners diagnose patients with fatal casualties and assist in preventing long-term medical disorders as a result of the process.
They also perform other functions like caring for victims of rape and drug abusers.
Best Nursing Schools in California
The United States is a great country to study Nursing. It has lots of medical schools which provide quality education.
California is a state in the US with notable medical schools. It also has top-rated nursing schools which have not only ranked high within the State but nationally as well.
These are the best nursing schools in California;
10. Azusa Pacific University School of Nursing
Highlights: Azusa Pacific University School of Nursing is located in Azusa
- This private university offers both online and offline nursing programs
- Lots of internship opportunities
- Quality nursing education
- Abundant financial aid initiatives.
9. CSULA Patricia A. Chin School of Nursing
Highlights: CSULA Patricia A. Chin School of Nursing is situated in Los Angeles
- Ranks among the best schools of nursing in California
- Outstanding diversity education
- Presence of strong internal medical networking; nurses are paired with relevant medical students during practicals.
8. San Diego State University School of Nursing
Highlights: San Diego State University School of Nursing parades the 74th best nursing education on masters
- Impressive laboratories
- Emphasis on nursing education with international component
7. CSU-Fullerton School of Nursing
Highlights: CSU-Fullerton School of Nursing is located in Fullerton
- Excellent doctorate, masters, and bachelors degree nursing programs
- Adoption of medically assured nursing curriculum
- Abundance research opportunities
- Good and Decent laboratories and clinics
6. University of San Francisco School of Nursing and Health Professions
Highlights: University of San Francisco School of Nursing and Health Professions is a flagship college
- Excellent master’s degree nursing education
- Rated 6th on the list of best schools of nursing in California
- Effective clinical rotations
- Abundance certification opportunities
5. University of San Diego Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science
Highlights: University of San Diego Hahn School of Nursing and Health Science offers quality DNP and MSN program
- Among the best schools of nursing in California
- Flexible Nursing education
- Catholic-based private university
- Ranked 6th best on nursing doctorate degree education
- Presence of diversified research opportunities
- Offers chances for nursing students to kick-start their career
4. UC Irvine School of Nursing
Highlights: UC Irvine School of Nursing combines excellent nursing education with leadership skill development
- Parades the country’s 45th best master’s degree nursing program
- Diversified volunteer work
- Excellent innovation and research opportunities.
3. UC Davis Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing
Highlights: UC Davis Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing is located in Sacramento
- Rated among the top 3 best school of nursing in California
- The top school was Founded in 2009
- Parades the country’s 24th best master’s degree nursing program
- Practises flipped lecturing style; students reviews materials first before coming to class.
- Excellent doctorate, and bachelors degree nursing programs
2. UCLA School of Nursing
Highlights: UCLA School of Nursing is located in the booming city of Los Angeles
- High-ranking clinical education
- Excellent nursing education
- Professional certified faculty team
- Abundance research opportunities
- Diverse and multinational student campus .
1. UCSF School of Nursing
Highlights: UCSF School of Nursing is nationally recognised
- This prestigious university tops the list of best schools of nursing in California
- Excellent master’s degree program on nursing
- It’s heavily funded
- Presence of abundance outreach initiatives
- Strong research network
- Excellent Doctorate, Master’s, and Bachelor’s degree nursing programs
Nursing is one of the most sought-after medical specialists. They provide care and support for patients, standing by them through the trying times.
It’s a rewarding career with huge prospects. If you’re interested in studying this medical profession in California, then you’ve just visited the right page.
There are several schools of nursing in the state which delivers high-quality education. This post entails the highlights of these schools and other necessary information.