Best Nursing Schools in New York: What are they?
It is difficult to imagine a hospital or clinic without nurse(s). This sect of medical professionals plays an important role in the healing process of a patient.
Hence their presence ensures fast and efficient treatment of patients. By definition, Nursing is a branch of medical science that deals with the therapy of an individual or community.
Nurses play the support role to doctors as they have the power to prescribe drugs and medications to patients. However, it can be ascertained that nurses have different approaches and roles during the healing process.
Though the entire sub medical field deals with how to treat and show care for patients, Nurses tends to be the ones that have taken it to the personal level.
That’s why seeing a nurse forming a bond with patient and supplying all available support is common. This is one significant part of their duties that has stood them out.
Specialist Areas in Nursing
Just like most medical fields, nursing has many branches. Each of these areas of specialisation comes with varying job roles, functions, and duties.
Here are the different specialist’s areas in the field of Nursing;
- Cardiac Nursing
Cardiac Nursing is the specialist that deals with the cardiovascular system. Apart from treating various cardiac disorders which range from heart failure to artery disease, they also provide after-therapy medication.
This branch of nursing also performs several complex functions including stress test evaluations. Given their nature of work, it’s not quite easy to get a certification.
Advanced Cardiac Life Support certification is strictly awarded to competent practitioners that have met the demanded requirements.
Here are some of the sectors where cardiac nurses can be found:
- Cardiac wards
- Cardiac Surgery Wards
- Cardiac Rehabilitation Centre
- Cardiac Catheterisation
- Clinical Research among others
- Palliative Care
Palliative Care deals with the therapy of complex disorders. It focuses primarily on mitigating medical deficiencies and ensuring that patients are revived.
The Palliative Care Unit is composed of a combination of several medical professionals that cuts across Nurses, doctors, and psychologists to physical therapists.
They care extensively for patients with chronic diseases irrespective of the age group. More so, while initiatives like early test and diagnosis form parts of their assignments, these nurses deal majorly with the therapy of near-death illnesses.
- Obstetrical or Perinatal Nursing
Obstetrical or Perinatal nursing, generally, deals with pregnancy. This speciality of nursing care for the pregnant hopefuls, the ones carrying a child, and mothers who recently put to birth.
During the pregnancy period, complications are likely bound to occur. These difficulties are mostly due to reproductive disorders which may be hereditary.
Perinatal nurses care and support pregnant women during the period. They also provide prenatal care, support during the delivery period, and aid the new mothers to regain themselves.
While these nurses work hand-in-hand with midwives, they also alliance with obstetricians.
- Oncology Nursing
Oncology Nursing is a speciality that is related to the care of cancer patients. The field is advanced and requires a knowledge of oncology.
Oncology nurses are required to take advanced courses outside the typical traditional nursing coursework as well as obtain professional certifications to be licensed for practice.
They perform functions that range from symptom management to preventive measures and aids in the quick recovery of cancer patients.
- Perioperative Nursing
Perioperative nurses deals with surgery and its related terminologies. It is the branch of nursing that provides care for patients undergoing surgery.
As a result of this, they mostly work in conjunction with surgeons, as well as nurse anaesthetics among others. Apart from caring for the patients in the operating room, Perioperative nurses also provide support for the patient’s family.
These health professionals also assist in providing guidelines for the successful therapy of the patient. It is complicated and demands rigorous academic coursework.
- Orthopaedic or Orthopedic nursing
This branch of nursing deals with the diagnosis and care of patients with musculoskeletal disorders. Professionals on this nursing specialist undergo intensive education on the human skeletal system.
Hence, they are drilled on how to care for patients with bone-related disorders. These medical professionals can be found in hospitals, clinics, health centres among others.
- Emergency Nursing
Emergency Nurses treats patients on the radar of death. These medical practitioners diagnose patients with fatal casualties and assist in preventing long-term medical disorders as a result of the process.
They also perform other functions like caring for victims of rape and drug abusers.
Best Nursing Schools in California
The United States is a great country to study Nursing. It has lots of medical schools which provide quality education.
New York is a city in the US with notable medical schools. It also has top-rated nursing schools which have not only ranked high within the State but nationally as well.
These are the best nursing schools in New York;
10. SUNY Polytechnic Institute
Highlights: SUNY Polytechnic Institute kicks-off the list of best schools of nursing in New York
- This premier college is located in Utica
- Dual Nursing Track
- Excellent online nursing education
9. CUNY College of Staten Island
Highlights: CUNY College of Staten Island is US best graduate college
- Excellent Master’s and Bachelor’s degree nursing education
- Produced several notorious alumni
- Pride in innovation
8. Adelphi University College of Nursing and Public Health
Highlights: Adelphi University College of Nursing and Public Health offers excellent nursing track
- Ranks among the best school of nursing in New York
- Offers excellent mental education
- Emphasis on teamwork and networking
7. Molloy College Barbara H. Hagan School of Nursing and Health Sciences
Highlights: Molloy College Barbara H. Hagan School of Nursing and Health Sciences is located in Rockville Center, New York
- Outstanding Liberal Education
- Small class set-up
- Affiliation with notable medical systems
- Provide NCLEX preparatory class
6. SUNY Binghamton Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences
Highlights: SUNY Binghamton Decker College of Nursing and Health Sciences was established in 1969
- Ranks high on the list of best schools of nursing New York City
- Highly qualified and competent faculty staff
- Well equipment laboratories
- Strong emphasis on community service
5. CUNY Hunter College Hunter-Bellevue School of Nursing
Highlights: CUNY Hunter College Hunter-Bellevue School of Nursing is a flagship school
- Prides in Innovation
- Was established in 1873
- Impressive research centres
4. Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies
Highlights: Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies is located in Hempstead
- Rated among the best schools of nursing in New York
- High graduation rates; 100% for both undergraduates and postgraduate scholars at times.
- Effective Nursing track
3. University of Rochester School of Nursing
Highlights: University of Rochester School of Nursing is located in Rochester
- 26th best quality nursing education
- Excellent research facilities
- Notable faculty commitment and dedication.
2. NYU Rory Meyers College of Nursing
Highlights: NYU Rory Meyers College of Nursing is a multinational school with international affiliation
- Ranked second among the best schools of nursing in New York
- Opportunity to earn the highest nursing median salary as an alumni
- Highly qualified faculty staff
- Equipped laboratories
1. Columbia University School of Nursing
Highlights: Columbia University School of Nursing is nationally recognised
- Founded in 1892
- Offers the 5th best master’s and doctorate degree programs in nursing
- Affiliates with WHO for standard nursing practices
- Outstanding research facilities
Nursing is one of the most sought-after medical specialists. They provide care and support for patients, standing by them through the trying times.
It’s a rewarding career with huge prospects. If you’re interested in studying this medical profession in New York, then you’ve just visited the right page.
There are several schools of nursing in the state which delivers high-quality education. This post entails the highlights of these schools and other necessary information.