When you hear Cambridge University? What comes to your mind? Is it excellence, prestige, or the epitome of educational respect? Cambridge is not just one of the best in the UK, and it is among the top five most respected universities in the world.
Cambridge University was established in the year 1209, and It is regarded as the second-oldest English-speaking university in the world. It is known to be the mother of most modern universities globally, including the highly respected Harvard University, which is known as No 1 in the US. As a result, the University of Cambridge’s acceptance rate is very low. Typically, a university of this prestige accepts only the best of the best.
After Adequate research, in this article, I will be taking you through everything you need to know about Cambridge university acceptance rate and admission requirements with every other information you need to help you achieve success toward your ambition of studying at this university
Why Should I study at the University of Cambridge?
There are a lot of good reasons why you should consider studying at the University of Cambridge. Apart from the fact that it is one of the top-notch universities in terms of educational, research, and scientific excellence, there are other reasons, and they include:
- The University of Cambridge has one of the highest student retention rates in the UK. According to the QS World University Rankings, the University of Cambridge is often ranked among the top three in the world for employer reputation. So as an exceptional university, there is a 90% chance that you will be accepted.
- In terms of ranking, the QS World University ranked the University of Cambridge as No.3 globally for 2022.
- The University of Cambridge comprises various departments, which gives students from all over the world a chance to come study here. These faculties cut across science, arts, engineering, liberal arts, and advanced science. In a nutshell, the University of Cambridge comprises 31 autonomous constituent colleges, plus over 150 departments and faculties organized in six schools spread across the state.
- Also, Cambridge is the safest place to study in Great Britain. So here, your safety is guaranteed as you look.
- Additionally, Cambridge University has an educational system that allows you as a student to be tutored directly by qualified professors that are world-class authorities in their various areas of specializations.
What is the University of Cambridge Acceptance Rate?
Generally, the University of Cambridge acceptance rate is 21% for undergraduates and 42% for Postgraduates students. The competition is usually intense, and it is intellectually demanding.
What are the Admission Requirements at the University of Cambridge?
Knowing the admission requirements is highly necessary if you consider studying at the University of Cambridge. This will help you see if you have a chance of getting admitted or not.
Just like other universities, the University of Cambridge has distinctive requirements for its different programs. But here, we will be addressing it on a general note.
Do note that admission comes in phases and stages at the University of Cambridge.
The General University of Cambridge admission requirements are?
The steps include:
- The submission of your UCAS application.
- After that, you will receive a mail to complete the Supplementary Application Questionnaire (SAQ).
- Academic transcripts.
- School/ college reference
- A well-written personal statement is stating your subject’s interest(s).
- A subject-specific written admission assessment, either pre-interview or at an interview.
All these should be done using a good command of the English language.
Documents Required for Application
- A copy of a valid passport.
- Financial Documentation.
- Tuberculosis Test results (as per the country’s requirements)
- Proof of parental or other legal guardian consent if you are below 18 years of age
University of Cambridge Education Requirements
Each course has its entry requirements, which you must meet up before applying. They are:
- International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB)
Typical offers are 40-42 points out of 45, with 776 in Higher Level subjects. Depending on your chosen subject of study, you may be required to achieve 7 in a particular topic (s).
Depending on your chosen subject of study, you may be required to achieve an A* in a particular topic (s).
GCSE results are used as a performance indicator that will depict whether you will be accepted or not.
- Cambridge Pre-U Diploma
Conditional offers are set on an individual basis. But you may be required to score Distinction in your level grades (D2 or D3) in Principal Subjects.
University of Cambridge Application Procedure
Firstly to apply to the University of Cambridge, go to the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service and fill out an online application (UCAS).
The steps to follow to complete your online application is outlined below:
1. Choose a program
You are advised to choose a degree that you’re passionate about and will love to study.
2. Select your college.
Will you like to live on campus or outside campus? Do Indicate whether you have a college choice or you are submitting an open application.
3. Send your application
Submit your UCAS application and any additional questionnaires before the application deadline. It will all be done through email. Any through your email, you will be sent other questionnaires if the need arises.
4. Written evaluation
You will be required to take a written examination either before or during the interview. This is one of the evaluations you will have to go through. For an evaluation, The University will schedule a pre-screening test.
5. Selection Process
For all those that have applied this year, you will be notified of the outcome of your application by the end of January 2022.
This is the final stage. Everyone who is is invited for the interview has a high probability of being accepted. You can go to the internet to watch videos and learn more about the discussions.
The majority of interviews take place in Cambridge; however, some are conducted outside of the country.
What are the Cambridge University Admission Requirements for US Students?
As a US applicant, you should note that offers are made on an individual basis.
Usually, the best way to get admitted into Cambridge University as a USA applicant is by five or more Advanced Placement (AP) Scores at grade 5.
To that effect, you must have high passing scores on your school qualification coupled with a high score on the SAT (I) Reasoning Test or ACT.
According to statistical research, 347 Americans applied to study at Cambridge in 2016, 40 were accepted, but only 20 were later accepted into the university.
Please note that SAT II (Subject) Tests are generally not viewed as equivalent to AP Tests. While applying, you are required to disclose all the tests that you have taken and the scores.
After all, is said and done, the University of Cambridge’s acceptance rate for US students is just 12%.
What are the Cambridge University Admission Requirements for International Students?
Presently, the University of Cambridge’s Acceptance rate for international students is 34.6%. This is coupled with the fact that you are expected to achieve A*A*A or A*AA (subject dependent) or 40-42 in the International Baccalaureate, with 776 in Higher Level subjects. Also, the IELTS test is a must for you to take. To read more on this, click here.
Other requirements needed as an international student include:
Immigration & Visa Requirements
To study in the UK, students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland for more than six months must possess a Tier 4 student visa.
- You need to apply for your visa at least three months before the starting date of your course. The date of the application is the same as the day of paying the visa application fee.
- You can apply for their Tier 4 student visa in their respective country of residence.
- As a student, you are required to complete an online application form. The application fee is £348.
So for more in-depth information, let’s look at the program structure of both the undergraduate and postgraduate study.
The University of Cambridge Program Structure
Under this section, we are looking at the undergraduate and postgraduate university structure.
University of Cambridge Program Structure and Acceptance Rate for Undergraduate Students
It might interest you to note that the University of Cambridge focuses more on undergraduate students than postgraduates students.
As stated earlier, the University of Cambridge’s undergraduate acceptance rate is 21%.
What is the Cambridge University Post Graduate Program Structure and Acceptance Rate?
The University demands high academic qualifications for entry into its postgraduates courses.
Some of the most competitive postgraduate programs at Cambridge University and their acceptance rate are:
9% MPhil in Finance
9% MPhil in Developmental Biology (4yrs)
10% MPhil in Engineering
10% MPhil in Basic and Translational Neuroscience
11% Ph.D. (Probationary) in Philosophy
Do note that aside from knowing the Cambridge University graduate acceptance rate, other factors are critical that you consider. They include Good English skills, references, and availability of a suitable supervisor.
How Much Does it Cost to Study at the University of Cambridge?
Undergraduates’ degree programs for the 2021/200 academic session are 9,250 euros. While for the postgraduates, it is not specified as it differs from department to department. To calculate the cost of your postgraduates programs, click here.
How is Student Life at the University of Cambridge?
Also, it contains eight cultural and scientific museums, including the Fitzwilliam Museum, as do over 100 libraries. All of this comes backed by a £2.192 billion endowment.
FAQs on the University of Cambridge Acceptance Rate
I hope the above information has been helpful to you in your efforts in securing admission into the University of Cambridge.
We wish you success as you cling to the instruction in the article.