Is University of Illinois a party school? This is a common and familiar question on the Internet. University of Illinois is not a stranger to the Princeton review’s annual ranking as it remains the best party school for several years now.
However, this might drive some aspiring scholars and neutrals to think that the American school is all good but only for parties. This is majorly false as the prestigious educational establishment has also excelled; judging by its performance in reference to major pointers of academic excellence.
Highlights of the University of Illinois
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is one of the most innovative higher education service providers in the United States. It has laid claim to more than 20 Nobel Prize winners and technology wizards who were partly responsible for the birth of some digital products and services like Light Emitting Diode (LED), YouTube, JAVA, and Netscape
- University of Illinois is the best party school in the entire States according to the Princeton Review’s annual
- In the other end, Brigham Young University topped as the senior elite (Number 1) on the list of most stone-cold sober schools according to Review’s publisher. This isn’t any bad omen but a sign that campus life can be extremely boring and stale.
- Every blessed year, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign organizes an annual day of drinking which is formally referred to as “Unofficial”. The peculiar aspect of this event which usually takes place on March is that it’s known to experience a handful of lethal accidents.
- By and large, scholars at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are hard working and take their studies seriously. The party is nothing more than a bonus
How the University of Illinois Came To Become A Top Party School
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is one of the prestigious academic establishments in the United States. However, it seems to have popularity based on its partying reputation while little to no accolades have been given to the school based on intellect prizes.
Again, this is false. The thing is just that the scholars at the school are not known for constantly being book-sick as they also party to mix it all up. Particularly, the American school has been duly recognized by Princeton Review’s – a body responsible for crafting the annual list of top party schools in the United States.
Even so, according to revelations by many scholars, the school’s “Drinking culture is huge.” The prestigious American University has not been much bothered about the year-in-and-out development but its spokeswoman Robin Kaler was worried by the school being almost always named among the top five.
She said that their students are serious and should not be tagged as “somehow irresponsible.” Meanwhile, the Princeton review publisher, Robert Franek said:
“We have such a high regard for each of the 380 schools. The University of Illinois, it is an exceptional school.”
Unofficial and Fatal Accidents
The Unofficial event is marked by serious security since fatal accidents took headlines of the 2006 and 2001 editions. The University of Illinois now deeply get involved in the party and ensure that everything is kept under control.
Some parents have also asked of extra security measures to be adopted while few are of the view that the party should be tuned down a bit. Nevertheless, the Police Force are always a constant presence and tight security have become more pronounced.
List Of Top Party and Stone-cold Sober Schools
We first start with the list of top party schools in the United States and they include…
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- University of Iowa
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Bucknell University
- Syracuse University
- University of California – Santa Barbara
- West Virginia University
- University of Georgia
- Tulane University
- Colgate University
And here is the list of the most Stone-cold Sober Schools in the United States:
- Brigham Young University
- College of the Ozarks
- Wheaton College
- Grove City College
- United States Military Academy
- United States Naval Academy
- Gordon College
- Thomas Aquinas College
- Calvin College
- United States Coast Guard Academy
Let me add something to this: Brigham Young University is not in any way a bad choice. The school is affiliated with with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and this may be one of the reasons why it houses the large population of religious scholars.
More so, Claremont McKenna University seems to be the best in terms of producing most satisfied scholars while Clemson University in South Carolina is a go-to University for those looking for jobs.
As a future Illini, what are some things I should know about UIUC?
If you’re aspiring to study at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, there are some things that you should know beforehand. They are listed below:
- The university has a day called Quad Day. This is when every student organisations in the school meet. On that day, you can sign up with your email with any student organisation you have interest with. You’ll be sent newsletter but if you loose interest at any point in time, then you can unsubscribe.
- The University of Illinois has a Veterinary (Vet) school located at the Southern part of Campus. If you’re bored and looking for something exciting to do, you can pay a visit. There are horses, cows, and other exciting animals to see.
- The University of Illinois has an extraordinary outlook. There is this star-gazing adventures that is organized by a student organisation which will allow you to stare at the stars and other terrestrial beings up in the sky. Telescopes are available and open nights are done frequently as well.
- The University of Illinois has the country’s third largest library. This houses many educational publications and it is quite rare for them to recommend you outside because of unavailability of books. So, if you’re interested in napping on a book, you can sure try it out!
- The prestigious American University has a website that will allow you to know the schedule of bus in the school. It shows when a particular bus goes to a campus’ bus stop. With this, you can plan your movement to classes optimally and the web address is “www.cumtd.com”
- The school Library also houses some of humanity’s rarest manuscripts. This can be found in a dark part of the building referred to as stacks.
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is one of the few schools that allows scholars to either add or drop deadlines. All you need do is to take take a class and afterwards, drop it. Don’t worry, it won’t have any sort of impact on your transcript. But, ensure to check your midterm score before doing so.
- The Undergraduate Library of University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has an event that allows dogs to be brought to ease tension and anxiety and it usually happens during the last week.
- The day called Unofficial is marked by scholars wearing green clothes. It can technically also be called an “alcoholic day” as students starts drinking alcohol beverages from the early hours (6am) of the morning till dawn. Don’t even bother going for a drink if you’re below the threshold of 18 years as the Police have zero tolerance for underage drinking.
- There is a prominent diner and bar on the campus known as Black Dog. These guys offer one of the best Barbecue in town and are very strict on opening and closing hours. They only come up twice a day and the time is 10 AM and 4 PM respectively. One thing about the restaurant is that they operate on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The main Quad is really a nice place to visit in the school. Seriously, if you have some spare moments, do stroll there and maybe take a nap, pick up a book on any subject matter that interest you and read or better still, savour the weather which can be really nice sometimes.
- There is this place called the Japan House in Campus. It is a product of one of the school’s alumni who wanted to create a house with a touch of Japanese culture and atmosphere. The house include a Zen garden, trees, and events buildings.
- The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has a very unpredictable weather. Here is how it can go… Morning can be sunny, afternoon later turns out to be rainy while evening will transition to be hailing. So, it’s best to check daily forecast which is impressively accurate. At least, you won’t be caught unawares.
- The social life in the school is probably second to none. Being ranked as the best party school speaks heights of it. There is a lot to do but if you’re extroverted, then you’ll love it even more. Anyways, introverts can manage just fine.
University of illinois is famous for being known as a party school. However, the school is also a hub for intellects who wants to take their career to the next level.
This makes the American University a place for both extroverted scholars and innovative ones alike.