virginia Tech Acceptance Rate [Image Courtesy Virginia Tech]Are you a tech student who wants to further your education in Virginia? Do you want to study full-time at Virginia as an international student? Are you an aspirant who wants to get valid information on Virginia Tech’s acceptance rate? If you are one of the categories, this article is for you.
Unlike most popular belief that getting admission into Virginia Tech is like forcing a camel to pass into the hole of a needle, I can tell you vividly that this is not true.
It may interest you to know that Virginia’s tech acceptance rate is fair compared to many top universities globally. I will discuss it thoroughly in this article.
Before we go further, let’s take a little tour of Virginia Tech University.
About Virginia Tech University
Established in 1872, Virginia Tech University is regarded as the commonwealth’s most comprehensive university and leading tech research institution globally.
Yearly, Virginia Tech offers 280 undergraduate and graduate degree course programs to over 37,000 undergraduates, with graduates and professional students across the commonwealth countries. It has one of the best research portfolios worth over $556 million.
The motto of Virginia Tech, “Ut Prosim” (that I May Serve), has driven the institution into inculcating experiential learning, future-focused research, and an inclusive, spirited culture to produce graduates that can serve the global nation.
Virginia Tech has campuses spread across: a 2,600-acre main campus in Blacksburg, an Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia, the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke. In addition to that, it has a couple of educational and research facilities spread in the state, including the ones at Newport News and Richmond.
To cater to the needs of the international students, it possesses a study-abroad site in Switzerland.
For students in the biotech field, you need to know that Virginia Tech possesses a 1,800-acre agriculture research farm near the main campus at the New River Valley.
Why Study in Virginia Tech?
Apart from being the most comprehensive commonwealth university, it is also recognized globally.
Now, we look at the several international footings this university has attained.
Virginia Tech Rankings (Globally and Domestically)
Below are the rankings this great institution has earned.
- 201-300Academic Rankings of World Universities (ARWU, Shanghai)
- 346QS World University Rankings
- 201-250Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings
- 247US News and World Report Best Global Universities
- 48National Science Foundation (NSF) Total R&D Expenditure Rankings
- 73QS USA Rankings
- 74US News and World Report (USNWR) Best National Universities
- #109Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education (WSJ/THE) US College Rankings
- 42 in Most Innovative Schools (tie)
- 30 in Top Public Schools
What is Virginia Tech Acceptance Rate?
Virginia Tech’s acceptance rate is 64.8% which is pretty competitive. That is for every 100 admission application, 65 that meets the admission requirement will be accepted.
Consequently, Virginia Tech accepts 20,709 students yearly and enrolls about 27,811 out of the numerous students that applied for admission, regardless of how competitive the admission process is. This is mainly for US students.
Virginia Tech Acceptance Rate For International Students
Out of the acceptance rate of 64.8%, around 30% is for international students. So it is fair to say that international students have an acceptance rate of 30% in Virginia Tech.
What is Virginia Tech Admission Requirements?
Before you are considered for admission into Virginia Tech, there are some requirements that you must meet.
There are three facets, which are:
- GPA requirements
- SAT and ACT requirements
- Application requirements
GPA Requirements for Admission in Virginia Tech
To avoid getting an outright rejection, you must fulfill the following GPA requirements.
- You should have at least a 4.04 GPA. To achieve this, you will have to score an A in almost all your courses to compete with other applicants.
- Additionally, you will have to do well in AP or IB courses (which are complicated) to prove that the academic level at the university is elementary.
- If your GPA is 4.04 or lower than the school average, you will need a higher SAT or ACT value to complement it. This is the only way to compete with those with a higher GPA than you.
- Your application should contain the essential core elements: application essays or interviews, High School Text and GPA, and other basic personal information (SAT or ACT scores), academic transcripts, and letters of recommendation.
- You are to have a 1290 score on the 1600 SAT scale to be considered for admission.
This score, though it is high, makes Virginia Tech Competitive for SAT scores. Below are the expected average SAT scores you are to have:
- Reading + Writing 640
- Composite 1290
Act Requirements for Admission in Virginia Tech
- The average ACT score required of you at Virginia Tech is 28. This score makes Virginia Tech moderately competitive in terms of Act scores.
- It is required that for 25th percentile ACT, you should have a score of 25 and a 31 in the 75th percentile ACT.
- Even though Virginia Tech says they have no minimum ACT requirement, it will be very difficult for you to be accepted. It will be very difficult for you to be accepted if you get a 25 score or anything below thatepted. So strive hard to get a better score.
Virginia Tech Admission Process
Virginia Tech’s admission process is very competitive and tight. It usually considers two-thirds of the applicants for admission.
Please note that if your SAT / ACT and GPA scores are high, there is a high chance that you will be admitted.
However, Virginia Tech‘s admission process is very comprehensive. It takes into cognize other factors apart from the test scores. Please note that a well-written application essay coupled with a good recommendation will help you a long way.
In addition, you should bear in mind that there may be additional requirements needed for admission to some departments or programs.
Also, factors like race, leadership, first-generation condition, service, and inherited status in the application are greatly considered.
What are Virginia Tech Undergraduate Admission Requirements?
Do note that all students seeking to study for a four-year degree at Virginia Tech must submit their application through the University Alliance. This relates to both national, international, and transfer students.
Below are the requirements you must fulfill as a first-year applicant to Virginia Tech:
- 18 units of high-school coursework
- Two branches of social science (one must be history)
- Four units of English
- Four elective units
- Three units of math (includes algebra I, geometry, and algebra II)
- Two branches of laboratory science (chosen from biology, chemistry, or physics)
- Three additional academic departments (foreign languages a plus)
What is Virginia Tech University Program Structure?
With over 280 undergraduate and graduates programs, Virginia Tech has an average retention rate of 93 percent. This is an indicator of how good students are treated here.
The student-teacher ratio is 14: 1 across all faculties. Furthermore, the school has 27.4 percent of its classes with below 20 students.
Virginia Tech offers different levels of degree programs, such as:
- Associate Degree
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master’s Degree,
- Post-Master’s Degree
- Doctorate – Professional Practice
- Doctorate – Research / Scholarship.
Virginia Tech majors in several courses. Some of the school’s major programs are:
- Agricultural Economics
- Computer Science
- Business/Managerial Economics
- Dairy Science
- Engineering Mechanics
- Horticultural Science
- Industrial and Product Design
- Landscape Architecture
- Family and Consumer Sciences
- German Language and Literature
- Ocean Engineering
- Real Estate
What is the Cost of Studying at Virginia Tech University?
The cost of study varies between domestic and international students. So we will be looking at it from both perspectives.
Virginia Tech Cost of Study for US students
- Tuition & Fees $14,175
- Room & Board $9,876
- Total (per year) $24,051
Out – State
- Tuition & Fees $33,857
- Room & Board $9,876
- Total (per year) $43, 733
Virginia Tech Cost of Study for International Students
- Tuition $30,867
- General Fees $3,480
- International Student Fee $550
Total (Per year) $34,347
- Accommodation $5,566
- Board $4,310
Total (Per year) $9,876
- Insurance $3,175
- Personal (miscellaneous) $1,750
- Books & Academic Supplies $1,100
Total (per year) $6,025
Grand Total: $50,248
Virginia Tech Cost of Study Based on Majors
- Business $75 per credit ($900 for 12 credits)
- Agriculture and Biochemistry $750
- Architecture + Design, Building Construction $1,500
- Engineering $2,000
For more detailed information on the exact costs and fees, visit the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
Virginia Tech Student Life
Virginia Tech has a gender distribution of 57 percent male students to 43 percent female students with a total undergraduate enrollment of 27,811 and a graduate enrollment of 7,039.
At Virginia, 33 % of the students live in college-owned or affiliated housing, while 67% live off-campus. Total enrollment 34,850
Furthermore, apart from the state-of-the-art research center, Virginia offers many activities for better relaxation for students.
Below are some of Virginia Tech’s student activities:
- 101 Youtube and Social Media Club
- Association for Operations Management
- Board Game Club
- Ask Big Questions
- Agronomy Club at Virginia Tech
- Racing Team
- Ballroom Dance at Virginia Tech
- College Diabetes Network
- Culture Spark
- Appalachia Collective
- Bevlee Watford Society
- 2Loud at Virginia Tech
- Animal Hope Alliance
- Block and Bridle Club
Virginia Tech Acceptance Rate – FAQs
What is Virginia Tech’s acceptance rate for US students?
The acceptance rate for US students is 64.8%, which is fairly completive.
What is Virginia Tech’s acceptance rate for International students?
The acceptance rate is very competitive for international students as it is pegged at 30%.
Is a Virginia Tech a Good School to Study?
Yes, it is. It is known as the most comprehensive commonwealth university, and this is a good foot. In addition, it offers various students activities which I listed above. You can kindly scroll up to read them up.
Virginia Tech acceptance rate: This article has done justice to this answer by providing you with adequate and valid information to fuel your pursuit.
As you apply the above information, you increase your chance of success towards securing an admission.
- Wikipedia – Virginia Tech Acceptance Rate
- Official page – Virginia Tech