If you’ve been waitlisted at one of your preferred schools, here’s a list of 2022 waitlist data for some of the most popular private and public schools, along with notification dates and the most recent status where applicable.
Our sample of waitlist statistics from 100 private and public institutions paints the following picture:
- The number of students admitted from the waitlist rose 97 percent year over year from 22,223 in 2019 to 43,867 in 2021
- On average, 29 percent of students accepting a place on a waitlist were admitted in 2020, up from 18 percent in 2020
- 33 percent of the schools admitted 10 percent or less of the students accepting a place on the waitlist last year (vs. 48 percent in 2019)
- 17 percent of the schools admitted 5 percent or less (vs. 29 percent in 2019)
- 3 percent admitted no one (vs. 8 percent in 2019)
These results come as no surprise given the uncertainty brought on by the pandemic last cycle. That said, we strongly caution against assuming a similar level of waitlist activity this cycle as much of this uncertainty is now behind us and most schools are resuming normal operations.